Saturday, February 28, 2015

Book Review!

Welcome! 


I am so excited this is the first blog post and cannot wait to see how much fun this will be! Throughout the school year we will be reading lots and lots of books. Some of the books we read you will absolutely fall in love with and some of them won't be your favorite. This blog will be a place for you to come share your thoughts and ideas on the different books. Make sure you explain what did you like about the book and what you didn't like. This will be a chance for you to recall what the book is about and ask or answer questions about the book. You will be working on different skills like comprehension and writing even though it will be a fun activity. :) 

This first book review you are going to get a chance to choose between two books. I am giving you an option for which book you want to review to give you some practice and let you become comfortable with this process. 

The first book is If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff. 

The other book is Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. 

While doing your review think about some of these questions...

            -What was the book about?
            -Did it make you laugh?
            -Was it too short? too long?
            -Did you learn anything from the book?
            -What was your favorite part?
            -What was your least favorite part? 

Pick the book you want to review and share your thoughts with us! 

7 comments:

  1. I am doing a book review on Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. This is a great book for learning about considering others feelings. Chrysanthemum goes to school and no one likes her name. The kids in her class make fun of her being named after a flower. Chrysanthemum begins to think her name is absolutely dreadful. Then one day the art teacher Mrs. Twinkle says her full name is Delphinium Twinkle and that she is named after a flower. Everyone in class begins to want to be named after a flower. Mrs. Twinkle also says that when she has her baby, if it is a girl she wants to name her Chrysanthemum. Chrysanthemum did not think her name was absolutely dreadful anymore, she now thinks her name is absolutely perfect. My favorite part is when Mrs. Twinkle says that she wants to name her baby Chrysanthemum. My least favorite part is when Rita says Chrysanthemum is named after a flower let's pick her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so wonderful that Mrs. Twinkle made Chrysanthemum love her name! We are all different, but have certain things that make us so special! I agree that I think one of my favorite parts is when Mrs. Twinkle tells Chrysanthemum she wants to name her baby after her. It gives Chrysanthemum a feeling of comfort and shows her she should not be ashamed. It is very rude of Rita to make fun of her name. It reminds us how hurtful we can be to people and that we should always celebrate people's uniqueness.

      Delete
  2. I chose to do my book review on "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" written by Laura Numeroff and illustrated by Felicia Bond. Laura Numeroff has written several childrens' books similar to this one. "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" is such a fun book. It is one of my favorite books, surely to make anyone laugh and smile. The book is about what a mouse does after giving him a cookie, such as sweeping and mopping. The illustrations are wonderful. My favorite one is where the mouse is holding a crayon, coloring a picture of his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that this book can make anyone laugh because the mouse just does such silly things! The illustrations really bring the story to life and you can see all the different things the mouse is doing (and how he might be making a bigger mess even if he is trying to clean). I also like how he decides to draw a picture of his family and hangs it on the fridge for all to see.

      Delete
  3. I chose to do my book review on "If you give a mouse a cookie" because I have read and love "If you give a moose a muffin." The two books are similar by telling a silly story of what the two animals want to do. Both books also finish the same way they start and make you think the story will start all over again! My favorite part of "If you give a mouse a cookie" is when the mouse wants to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache and ends up cutting his hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of fun stories that are similar to "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." I also like how the books end and you know they are probably going to have to go through the same long process that just occurred. I like the part when he looks in the mirror too. You have to make sure you don't have anything on your face and your hair looks good at all times!

      Delete
  4. I chose to do my book review on "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" written by Laura Numeroff and illustrated by Felicia Bond. I absolutely love this book! It was one I consistently referred back to as a child. It is charming, silly, and very well illustrated. I also enjoyed how there are different versions of this book such as "If you Give a Pig a Pancake."
    My favorite part is when he gets so excited after looking at the pictures in the book and he wants to draw his own. He was just about to take a nap!
    I don't really dislike any part of the book. I think it is overall adorable!
    I learned not to give a mouse a cookie.

    ReplyDelete